Thursday, April 23, 2020

'Bor esheche Birer chade' and 'Amader choto nodi chole anke banke

During my childhood days, we used to learn and recite the poetries of different poets. According to Ma, I was always an avid learner though I have enough doubt about my memorizing power. So much doubt that I bought some Brahmi tonic and nut powders for myself while I was preparing for GRE. When I was a little more than one year, she used to read to me all the short rhymes of both Bengali and English. I started talking clearly at the age of 10 months. So one day my aunt asked her why she spends so much time reading to me every day? So she instead asked me to recite and my aunt was surprised that I could recite most of the poems by heart.

Poems by Tagore were a part of Bengali culture and learning those at a very early age is always a must in our kind of houses. Raj Byabostha was one of the first poems I have byhearted and I used to enjoy reciting that.

Moharaja bhoye thake
publisher thanate
Ayin banay joto
pare na ta manate... I used to recite that looking at the sky/ceiling in a very serious tone!

Soon a cousin elder sister was about to get married. So my Grandma taught me another piece from Tagore to recite that in front of the groom. She asked me to recite that to him whenever I meet him first. I really couldn't get the metaphors of the poem at that age. In fact, later I realized that I learned and recited one word wrong throughout. Instead of 'Birer chad' I used to tell it 'Biyer chad'. Since there is 'Bor' which means the groom is Bengali and 'shyaali' meaning sister in law (brides sister), I thought that was reason enough to make it appropriate for the occasion.

Once learned something by heart.. it will always be imprinted in your mind. So was this poem:
Bor esheche Birer chade  - By Rabindranath Tagore
Bor esheche Birer chade
Biyer Logno atta ( 8 ta).
Petol-ata lati kandhe
galete galpatta.
Shyaalir shathe krome krome
slap jokhon uthlo jome
Raybeshe nach nacher jhoke
mathay marlo gatta.
Shoshur kande meyer shoke
Bor heshe koy-"Thatta"!

Later, I learned poems like 'Amader choro nodi chile anke bake' in class one, Talgach and so many others...poems were an important part of giving shape to our mental frame of imagination.
We used to get frequent load shading every day. In the summer, during evening load shading which used to be for more than one hour, we all used to sit in the courtyard lighting kerosine lamps /hurricane lamps. We used to sing, recite, dance...elders used to drink tea and 'muri chanachur'. Sometimes neighbors used to join us. Still, it seems to me like we used to stage some theatrical performance every day. There was no technology, entertainment used to drip from heart and soul. There was no lack of enjoyment and people used to enjoy each other's company.

The undeclared cultural program used to get over when power used to come back. We used to get back to studies with a satisfied heart.






No comments:

Post a Comment