Tuesday, May 5, 2020

mesta jelly/ mesta plant and Gongura

We used to have a Mesta tree in our garden of Gopinath Bari. One day I saw Thakurma(my grandmom) collecting the strange-looking buds/fruits from that tree. When enquired she said it is a wonder fruit and she is going to make jelly from that. One strange thing about the jelly she made from those buds is that she tempered it with Kalonjee seeds or something black. Though the purplish/mauve color of the jelly was very attractive, that seasoning was something that caught my attention. She said I can taste the leaves. The raw leaves even tasted delicious. So that was my first introduction with the Mesta tree. I have no idea what happened to that tree after my grandmom passed away as my mom and neither of my aunts has any interest in such out of the box stuff.#Mesta Jam #Mesta Jelly #Tangy juicy leaves #Indigenous plant#Sorrel Leaves #Roselle Jam #Roselle Jelly

After relocation to south India, I saw and ate many delicacies using 'Gongura leaves'. I love the south Indian daal with Gongura leaves which they call 'pappu'. The scientific name of the red-stemmed one is Hibiscus sabdariffa. In fact, I bought bunches of 'Gongura leaves from the market so many times for making that Pappu. # Gongura Dal #Gongura Biriyani

I never tried to relate both, as it never stuck my mind. I never could draw a link between a plant, whose leaves are used for making Pappu can be the same with the plant whose fruits are used for making jelly.

Last weekend my husband got a few bunches of Gongura leaves for making Biriyani. Out of curiosity to know its scientific name and English name I did some google search. I was so overjoyed to know this is the same Mesta that my Thakurma used to nurture in her garden. I realized that these are indigenous plants and adapted in different cuisines in different forms blended according to taste. The Tangy leaves for South India and the fruit buds for Bengal to satiate their sweet tooth. Well, I couldn't take pictures of the leaves as we already cooked them by the time I was done with my research.                                                                                                                                                   
 

I was so much thrilled that day while relishing the tangy, spicy Gongura Biriyani as if my mind was playing an orchestra by looking and creating long lost flavors in known food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment